Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Stairs


Yesterday evening Jared and I made a railing for the right side of the stairs that go up to the pool deck. Here is a picture of what we did.
Around noon today, Doug walked up these stairs, got into the pool, and had some good physical therapy in the water.
I was a little worried about Doug getting out of the pool because the last step from the pool ladder to the deck is pretty tall, but with Jared and my help, he did just fine.
To get down the wooden stairs, he went backwards the same way he went up so he could use his right hand on the railing.
Since he did so good on these stairs, Doug decided it was time to go up stairs in our house. He hasn't been upstairs since the night he had his stroke. I am happy to say that he did just fine going up and coming back down. He came down backwards like he did on the deck stairs. And, guess what! He got to take his first shower at home. This was a BIG day for Doug. Tonight Doug wants to go up the stairs and try to sleep in his own bed. I will update you on my next post on how that goes.

3 comments:

little dalene said...

That's great! He is progressing very quickly!

Pamela J Pierce, RDN, LD said...

Glad to hear things are going good. Keep it up.

Dalene said...

Awesome...