Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Service Department Labor Charges

The truck that I have been driving around with Doug needed the seatbelt repaired and a new latch for the back window. I took the truck to the dealorship and they ordered these parts; $54.99 for the seatbelt and $29.49 for the window latch. Here is the crazy part.
To install the window latch, they were going to charge $43.00 for labor (1/2 hour minimum). I told them I would install it myself. It took me about 3 minutes.
To install the seatbelt, they said they would have to remove the seat and charge $208.00 for labor. I told them not to install it, and we'd do it ourselves. When I saw the seatbelt part they ordered, it was obvious the seat didn't need to be removed. I could have done it myself by removing one bolt, but a guy Doug knows at Firestone installed it for free.
I am happy to say that I saved $251.00 on labor and that made me a very happy woman.

1 comment:

RoverHaus said...

I hope whoever came up with the concept of a dealer service department is reading this.

Crazy!!!

It's not about the money but the principle of the thing.

Happy to hear you are pimpin' Uncle Doug's ride!