Doug gets at least 3 hours of therapy a day that include Speech, Occupational and Physical. Today I got to visit with Diane, a physical therapist about the Jim Thorpe Rehabilitation Center in Oklahoma City. I wanted to know if it was a better facility because I've had people tell me I should check it out. After talking to her, I decided that Doug is right where he needs to be; close to his family so we can visit him more frequently. The therapy he's getting in Norman is the same he would be getting up there. Talking to Diane gave me some reassurance that I made the right decision to keep him in Norman.
Doug has been complaining about his back hurting during the night. They do give him pain medication when he goes to bed, but tonight when I went to visit, they also had a foam mattress pad under his sheet. Hopefully it will give him some relief and let him get a good night sleep. He lays flat on his back from about 7:00 pm to 7:00 am. That is 12 hours! He can't even turn over or lay on his side. That would get pretty miserable after a while.
