On March 31, 2008, my husband, Douglas James Smith, had a stroke. I am dedicating this blog to Doug and the road to his recovery.
He had the stroke just after midnight on Sunday night. I could tell that something wasn't right, and wasted no time to call 911. Jared and I were up all night in the Emergency Room until he got a room in ICU around 7:00 a.m.
Jaley, Kalen, and Lacey didn't go to school on Monday, but Jared did.
Jaley, Kalen, and Jared didn't go to school on Tuesday, but Lacey did.
The first few days, it was very hard on all of us; to see Doug laying there in the bed sleeping most of the time. He was always able to speak and knew everything that was going on around him. He just wasn't able to move his left side and spoke with a slur.
Doug's parents came down on Tuesday and have been here for a week. They are going back to North Platte, Nebraska today. I am so glad that they came down. They have really been a good shoulder to lean on right now for both myself and the kids.
Lots of people have lifted Doug up in their prayers. I truly believe that God is answering, because Doug continues to improve everyday. Yesterday he finally got to eat real food instead of the pureed food. A step in the right direction and things are only going to get better from here on out.
